August 25, 2019

Let the LIBRARY be your LIFESAVER this year!

     During professional development week, I was afforded the opportunity to give a brief presentation to the teachers at my school.  I decided to emphasize one of the many areas where I can best support them.  I read three newspapers a day and bounce around my social media channels where I find information that could enhance lessons taught in the classroom.  When I worked at Wendell Phillips Academy High School in Chicago, the teachers appreciated when I found print/electronic resources for them to use in their classrooms.  I'm going to do the same for the teachers I work with.  It's going to take some time to curate resources for them because some of the content I’d previously found for the Phillips teachers will not be as helpful for the Jefferson middle school teachers.  So essentially, this will be an ongoing project for me over the next school year.

The LIBRARY Lifesaver Project

     To make this presentation a little sweeter, I handed out a note with Lifesaver mints.  The slogan I would like the teachers to remember this year is "Let the LIBRARY be your LIFESAVER."  I included my website address along with my email so that the teachers can contact me if they need support.  The presentation was a success!

     I cannot take credit for this idea.  I saw a discussion thread about supporting teachers on the “The School Librarian's Workshop," page on Facebook.  School librarian, Joy Eddleman was very kind and posted the template she created for other librarians to use on the group's page.   If you would like to use the template, access the link here:  LifeSaver Handout  

No comments:

Post a Comment