September 1, 2019

#TheSchoolLibraryShelvingLife

This is my nineteenth school library I've been charged to physically set up for students.  This means shelving new or existing collections in Dewey Decimal order...yes, I'm ole' school.    You can search this blog and learn how my experience spans three school districts, two district library managerial positions, five schools...and thirteen principals. 

My school, Jefferson Academy in Washington D.C. was modernized over the past year.  Over two-thirds of the library collection was packed and stored in the district's warehouse.  The remainder of the library collection was moved into a temporary trailer for one school year for student circulation.   In addition, the library was moved back to it's original location in the building, given a traditional/modern blend layout and cool furniture. 
The Main Lobby
The Non-Fiction Room
The Fiction Room

One of the things I enjoy the most is there are three separate rooms within the entire library media center:  the lobby where there's soft seating with a very large circulation desk, the fiction room with a blend of soft/table seating and a Smart Board,  the non-fiction room with a drop down screen and soft lounge seating and a bonus space:  a maker space lab with high tables/stools for students to work collectively on various hands on projects. 
Pre-Shelving Picture
While I'm excited about working in a newly designed space and working in a Makerspace similar to my library at Wendell Phillips Academy High School in Chicago, my priority right now is shelving the collection. 
The Makerspace Lab
The Makerspace Lab
While those who are not familiar with the process view shelving as tedious, arduous and downright time consuming, I actually enjoy it.  I started shelving books in the non-fiction room first.  Boxes had to be separated (fiction/non-fiction) and physically be moved to the correct staging side of the library media center.  I cannot tell you how many visitors stopped by the library with raised eyebrows and surprised I was working in peace.  The mountains of boxes looked like disorganization to some, but made perfect sense to me!
The Non-Fiction Room

The Fiction Room
The Fiction Room

Here's a couple of things I have done over the years to remain focused and on track throughout the process:


1.  I took pictures of the library before I began the shelving project, this has and always helped me remain motivated.
2.  Having confidence in myself and my ultimate goal of creating a wonderful space where my students would be able to learn, discover and collaborate with their peers/teachers had to be established prior to the start of the project.
3.  Remaining calm and not freaking out about the magnitude of the project is critical, doing so can hinder the process.  There's always going to be some type of hiccup, deal with it and move on.
4.  Setting goals for the amount of shelving that is to be completed each day helps you stay on track.
5.  I always ignore the visiting naysayers and don't take their comments personally.
6.  I arm myself with caffeine in the morning and a sweet drink after lunch.
7.  When I feel tired, I make myself take a break. 
8.  Stick to the local/state/national school library guidelines, remember the school library program is not like other programs in the school.
9.  Listening to reggae/rap music, podcasts, and political interviews while shelving keeps me entertained throughout the process.  Keep a portable speaker charged and ready to go.
10. Taking pictures of the library after the shelving project is complete and again after decorations and signage has been added will make you appreciate your hard work.

The Non-Fiction Room

The Non-Fiction Room
Next week, Washington D.C. Public Librarians will be stopping by to assist me with shelving the fiction room.  Once that's completed, signage, decorations and placement of real/artificial plants will be added.  Then the real fun begins, inviting classes down to the library for orientation.  Stay tuned for more posts over the next school year.  

1 comment:

  1. This looks beautiful! And I agree about shelving--leave me along with some music and let me at it!

    ReplyDelete