October 13, 2019

Easy Like Sunday Morning: Busy-Busy-Busy

I've been so busy over the last month.  Between shelving books, locating lost boxes of books from the move, student orientation, lunch periods and now opening Jefferson's first library media center Makerspace, I still can't believe we've made it to the second quarter.  

The following posts represents just a taste of activities that have taken place in the library media center since I've last posted.  The students and I have been having so much fun and my prayer is that they will continue to be engaged and participate throughout the school year.  Just continue to scroll down and read the trailing posts about the #JAReaders activities.


Getting Parent Involved:  I was thinking how could I generate more traffic in the library media center on SLC (Student Lead Conference) Day?   I strongly believe that parents need to be aware that the library media center and Makerspace is a FREE resource that their child can enjoy and use everyday at Jefferson. 

As a staff, we are trying to instill the love of lifetime reading within our students.  I firmly believe that when this seed is planted, students will enjoy reading and their academic achievement will definitely improve.  We want our students to visit the library independently (outside of class scheduled time) to check out a book for leisure reading.   In terms of the SLC's, I know many of my colleagues will advise the parents of their students that they should be reading independently daily for at least 30 minutes.   

I created the flyer above as a means of encouraging parents to visit.  I also took it a step further to speak to the teachers during their weekly afterschool professional development meeting and solicit their support in handing out the flyer at the end of the SLC.   All of this of course was approved by the principal prior to me speaking to the teachers.  

I started off the day with two bags full of candy packs and I ended with this. 

I also gave the parents a little thank you card with my contact information and a reminder of the general services offered.  Many thanks to my co-workers who supported this effort.   I had a very nice turn out of parents who visited/learned more about students services offered by the library media center and new Makerspace.  For that alone, I'm grateful.  Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment