July 13, 2020

#MondayMood


 I saw this on my childhood friend’s page and though I would #repost.

Lately I’ve been approached by a number of people to contribute to their ‘personal or passion’ projects.  Some of the invitations have downright raggedy and disrespectful of my time, my work and knowledge. Understand, I'm very sensitive to how my words are used as well as people who want to 'pick my brain.'   I get really tired of seeing my words used in their personal projects.   Don’t get me wrong, I do agree to some projects but when I get the sense of your ‘ask’ is fueled by the need to have a ‘black voice,’ for the project because ‘black’ is ‘hip’ these days, I ignore it.

 I’ve been asked to write chapters in books (no payment for my time, but I’m just supposed to be ‘happy’ to be included...yeah right.) podcast interviews, and test out educational material that my students would have absolutely no use for.   There are a number of projects I agreed to participate in and you will see them on my social media feeds.  The organizer was respectful of my time, knowledge and words, this is why I agreed to participate.  Why is respectful behavior of educators, media and sales representatives so difficult?  I'm tired of asking this question and I'm burned out from the behavior.

One day, I’ll sit down and write ‘my story,’ where I will have full control of the narrative. Until then, I’ll tell my story in very small bits and pieces when I want to.  I’ve lived a life that has been full of events that have been funny, sad, intriguing, frustrating, inspirational and yes unbelievable.  We all have a story to tell and learn from each other.  Share your story when the time is right and when you are inspired to do so. #KC_SaidIt 

No comments:

Post a Comment