May 8, 2013

Overdue Library Books

Librarians have you ever said this phrase, "Just bring them back"?

I'm so happy that my students are checking out books regularly from the Library Media Center. The major problem is that they are so slow in returning their books. One of the reasons I learned why books are grossly overdue is that the books checked out by students are often times read by other members of the family that live in the same home. This wonderful because as a school librarian, I want to spread the love of reading, but I still need the books returned by the end of the year for inventory.  Recently I encouraged three of my students to create a commercial that emphasizes bringing overdue books back to the Library Media Center.

Just sharing one of my many ways of getting all the books back before the end of the school year. Wish me luck as I begin this journey of collecting back books from the 2012-2013 school year.

 
Just Bring Them Back! from WPAHS Video Page on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. I don't want to charge fines because I don't want anyone to hesitate to check out a book because they might get fined. But, I have kids checking out books in Sept and returning them in April or May when I start my super concentrated nagging! I talk to them about this at the beginning of every year but it never changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting ready to step into a new position at one of my district's high schools. The current librarian says this is a huge issue so I'd love to get some tips from you. It's a high poverty area and one of the big issues is that kids move and leave things behind (not much you can do there of course) but I love your video and am hoping to do something like that as well. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that when I stopped charging fines, the students brought the books back without fear. So far it's working and I've had a better run this year as opposed to the last two. Maybe this is the key in getting books back, waiving fines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you got the students involved: what a great idea. Student voice is the key! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete