September 23, 2013

My Avid Reader

     This is Davion a high energy and a voracious reader.  I will never forget the first time I met him.  It was August and he was a freshman student excited about attending high school.  He came into the library media center with a laundry list of Street Lit. titles...some I had not even heard of.  It is Davion that I credit for changing my policy on students checking out adult Street Lit. books.  

    Until I met Davion, I only circulated the books to my juniors and seniors.  I wanted to guide my freshman and sophomore students into reading young adult books that they had not been exposed to in grammar school.  Davion like other students that year really challenged me.  They had read Street Lit. young adult books while enrolled in grammar school and they wanted to read the adult versions.  I couldn't tell them no, so my principal and I devised a plan for the circulation of the books with the parent's permission.

    I've experienced much criticism for circulating the adult titles to teens.  The interesting thing is the parents support the circulation and they read the books too.  Since implementing this, I've had less than a handful of parents that have rejected it.  At the end of the day, literacy is spread in the home and the student enjoys reading a good book.

     In part 2 of 'Conversations at the Circulation Desk' sophomore student Davion describes why he enjoys using eReaders, participating in the Phillips book club and shares some of his favorite books.  If you would like to view part one of the series, just click the link provided below.
Conversations from the Circulation Desk, part 1 - http://theaudaciouslibrarian.blogspot.com/2013/09/conversations-at-circulation-desk.html 

2 comments:

  1. I don't often take the time to read all the posts and links that come to me in my inbox. I happened to open yours today and it gave me goosebumps. Thanks for all you do for your students and families! You are an inspiration to me. I teach in a K-5 school, so I don't have street lit, but I do try to fill all my student requests where appropriate. I want my students to learn that libraries are responsive places that are there for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine for your kind comment. You just don't know much your comment means to me.

    ReplyDelete